Travel to Ithaca
If you need any guidance on travelling to and from Ithaca we can assist you with all you need to know. Ithaca, is one of the smallest of the Ionian island complex, it does not have an airport which makes travelling here slightly more challenging – but totally worth it.
How to get to the island?
Fly to Kefalonia Island (Ithaca’s neighbouring island)
- Catch a taxi from the Argostoli Airport to Sami Port (cost of taxi 50€)
- Hire a car from the Airport to Sami Port (drive about 45min – 60min)
- Catch ferry from Sami Port to Piso Aetos Port in Ithaca, journey approximately 30 minutes.
- The ferry companies which travel from Sami to Piso Aetos are:
- Ionian Pelagos or Levante Ferries
- Ferry arrives at Pisa Aetos Port, then catch a taxi to North or South of the island.
- North of the island towards Stavros will take 25 min and would cost approx. 30 €.
- South of the island towards Vathi will take 10 min and would cost approx. 10-15 €.
- Destination arrival
We offer our services to help you organise your car hire with reasonable rates or taxi transfers / bus transfers to and from the port. Please contact us.
Many airlines fly to Kefalonia from most European cities. In season, airlines operate from April – November. Out of season there are local flights from Athens only. Olympic Airlines or Aegean Airlines.
Driving from Athens
- Fly to Athens from your current city.
- Drive from Athens to either:
- Patras –approx. 3 hour drive – Levante Ferries from Patras – Sami – Piso Aetos (journey time 4 hours)
- Astakos –approx. 4 hour drive – Ionian Pelagos from Astakos – Kefalonia – Piso Aetos (journey time 2 hours)
- Kyllini –approx. 3h25min drive – Kefalonian Lines from Kyllini – Poros Kefalonia. At this point you need to drive to Sami port to catch the ferry to Piso Aetos, Ithaca.
- Ktel Bus Station Athens.
Ferry Time Schedules are released closer to the season. Please click on the links above and check their timetables accordingly.
Hiring Cars / Scooters on the Island
We can help with good prices and reliable cars and scooters. Contact us
Boat Hire / Rental
We can organise day trips to other islands, private boat hire, boat transfers to and from beaches on and around Ithaca. You can also rent a boat for the day from the local beaches: Polis Bay, Kioni Bay, and Vathi Bay and explore the island for yourself.
We can introduce you to our local contacts for you to enjoy explore and enjoy the many activities that Ithaca has to offer. Contact us for bookings.
- Kayaking/ Canoeing
- Walking / Hiking
We can recommend many beaches that are both pebbled and sandy. Popular beaches or even those secluded beaches that are off the beaten track.
- Coffee shops / Restaurants
- Food and Drinks
- History of Ithaca (Caves, School of Homer, Museums)
- Festivals during the summer
- Theatre and live music
- Bars / Clubbing